Saturday, October 24, 2015

My Bountiful Basket Meal Plan 102415

What were you most excited about in your Bountiful Basket today?  For us, it was our extra of RAINBOW CARROTS!  So exciting.  My teenage son loves to chomp on these whole.  He even takes them to school to share with his friends.  I think it's hilarious and awesome.


When I began unpacking my basket today I immediately thought to make some MASON JAR SALADS for the coming week.  I also prepped lots of fresh produce so it is ready to have with hummus or other healthy dip.  Our fruit needed some ripening and it was placed in a  fruit bowl.  I immediately boiled the potatoes, mashed them, and put them in the freezer to pull out when we want them.  We also got a lot of squash, which I will most likely saute.  I did put some of it in with my salads.  Did you know you can eat summer squash raw?  Pomegranates, kiwi, and grapefruit were exciting to see.  The bag full of lemons will be great for lemon water each day.  I also used one right away to clean my kitchen disposal.

It's been a little while since I've gotten a basket because I have been both experimenting with saving $$ by shopping at Costco, as well as supporting our local farmers markets.  I honestly love grocery shopping and testing out different strategies to save money and make more healthy food accessible to my family.  That's one of the reasons I love days like today where I can prep a bunch of healthy food. When I open the refrigerator door and see all of the nicely organized servings of colorful fruits and veggies, it makes me happy.  Next, I'll cook some quinoa and brown rice, and portion it out.  I'll also bag up some healthy snacks like raw almonds and rice cakes.  I like to buy my hummus at Costco because it's so much cheaper!  The key is to freeze whatever you won't use in the next week.  Once you open a container, you should use it within about 7 days.


Well, those are my ideas for this week!  I'd love to know what yours are.  What are you most excited to eat this week?

Cheers,
Raven

No comments :

Post a Comment