Wednesday, March 18, 2015

FEEDING A LARGE FAMILY ON A BUDGET

So... do you ever have those nights when you have a non-stop schedule all day long and no time to think about dinner? I had one of those days last week.  What do you do when you get home and have no plans for dinner and everyone is looking at you, waiting for you to feed them. This is why keeping a well stocked pantry is so important.

My 11 year old was complaining that our meals had been too structured lately he wanted something different. I ran through a couple ideas and all he could say is "no, no, no!"  Finally, I hit on something with WAFFLES.  I looked though the pantry and refrigerator to see what kind of fun things we could use to CREATE a Waffle Bar.

 Here is what it took to throw this meal together in minutes.

Pantry Staples- Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt, Canola Oil,
Refrigerator Items- Buttermilk (roll over ingredient from a previous meal), Deli ham, cheese, Bacon, Eggs
Toppings- Strawberries, Bananas, Apples, Syrup, Peanut Butter, Jelly

I wanted to show a little love so I decided to create these waffles from scratch. However, using a baking mix is what my tired body wanted me to do. It works either way. I found a recipe on line and decided to use that. It was from BON APPETIT, But I modified it quite a bit for high fat and missing ingredients after I got started. WAFFLE BAR WAFFLES.
Raven teaches a delicious KAMUT WAFFLE with apple syrup.

We set the table with a variety of toppings. This included sliced strawberries and bananas. I did some 5 minute spiced apples. Set out peanut butter, jelly and lemon curd I had purchased out of curiosity. The bacon was a bonus because it is not something we usually keep on hand, but I was grateful to have it this night. Eggs would also be a great way to add protein to this meal.

We did some regular waffles and some with ham and cheese. For the ham and cheese I just cut up deli ham and then sprinkled it with grated cheddar cheese, closed the lid. Yummy!

This meal was a big hit. I made 2 batches of waffles, there was enough for everyone and we probably could have even used a few more. The best part was I had everything I needed for a successful meal already in my kitchen. No running to the store for a missing ingredient or going out to a restaurant.

Keeping a well stocked pantry is essential to eating on a budget. See this handout we share in our classes about GOOD THINGS TO HAVE ON HAND. We don't expect everyone to run out and purchase everything on the list, but to use it to give you ideas as to what your family uses on a regular basis that you could stock up on. It's a good idea to keep everything you need for a few quick meals that your family enjoys on hand for nights like this.










No comments :

Post a Comment