Saturday, March 7, 2015

BOUNTIFUL BASKETS MEAL PLAN 3-7-15



Green-leaf Lettuce     CARROTS     APPLES     CUCUMBERS     ROMA TOMATOES
PEARS     Honeydew Melon     BABY SWEET PEPPERS
ASPARAGUS ORANGES    CABBAGE
1 bunch green leaf lettuce - 1 head cabbage - 10 roma tomatoes - 1 bunch baby asparagus - 7 bosc pears - 1 honeydew melon - 4 carrots - 3 cucumbers - 22 baby sweet peppers - 5 apples - 7 oranges 

Yesterday, NPR published an article about the use of photography to help make healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables seem more appealing.  (You can read that article - HERE).  Corporations use marketing to entice us into buying their products so that they can make a sale.  These kinds of things are being plastered everywhere constantly, with hopes that you and I will see them and be motivated to purchase their product.  This got me thinking about the kind of food-related things that inspire me....(Or, where I get my "foodspiration")  I love photographing fruits and vegetables.  I love shopping in the produce section!  I love the Christmas morning feeling I get when I pick up my bountiful basket.  I love trying new things and making discoveries.  I love going to little mom and pop stores and markets, especially if they have a cultural niche.  Pinterest is enthralling.  Talking with people and spending time in their world and learning about their traditions always gives me ideas.  Another favorite thing to do is explore the community.  Foodspiration is everywhere.  It's up to us to find the best sources.  I hope this little blog inspires you in some way!  Thanks for coming by.


EAT FOR A WEEK WITH BOUNTIFUL BASKETS


We've put together a meal plan, with feeding a family of 4 in mind.  However, these ideas would be great no matter how many you're feeding.  This meal plan uses produce from a Utah basket from Bountiful Baskets and is based on MyPlate recommendations.  We'll also use a few simple ingredients from a well stocked kitchen and minimal additional items from the market.  You can click on each recipe name for the recipe.  Everything shown here was included in the basket contribution - $15 plus a small fee ($2.50).  Everything pictured came from my personal Bountiful Basket and all photos are of actual produce from the basket.


MONDAY
CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS
Basket items:  4 medium carrots or 2 large
I've got a rotisserie chicken in the fridge that I need to use the rest of and this is one of my favorite childhood comfort foods!  It's so inexpensive and the carrots will go nicely.


TUESDAY
ROASTED TOMATO & BLACK BEAN SKILLET
Basket items:  4-5 roma tomatoes
One pot meal for the win!  I love the taste of roasted tomatoes.  I also love black beans, especially if they are seasoned.  Easy meal for a busy day.

WEDNESDAY
GRILLED PORK CHOPS WITH BASALMIC CARMELIZED PEARS
Basket items:   2 (or more) pears
Pork chops are on sale at least for a few more days and I really wanted to do something with basalmic vinegar and pears.  I'll probably make a little extra and then use the leftovers on top of a green salad.  Yum!


THURSDAY
SHRIMP & VEGGIE PASTA w/ PESTO
Basket items:  Some of the asparagus, a few tomatoes, a few peppers
I've got pesto in the fridge and shrimp in the freezer.  Cook up some pasta and sautee some of these gorgeous vegetables and it will be a perfect dinner.  I can tell this will be my favorite meal of the week.


FRIDAY
PIZZA NIGHT - CREATE A PIZZA
Basket items:  a handful of sweet peppers
I'm thinking about those delicious little peppers and how good they would be on a pizza.  I've got mushrooms in my fridge as well and I'll saute them both up a little together before adding to the pizza.


SATURDAY
CROCK POT CABBAGE BEEF STEW
Basket items:   5 cups (chopped) of the cabbage
If you're like me, even though you're usually home on Saturdays, you don't usually want to spend a lot of time cooking.  That's why the crock pot can be your best friend!  I really love mine.  Not only that - this cabbage stew will really hit the spot!


SUNDAY
PEAR & CHEESE SANDWICH
Basket items:  2 pears
One of my favorite flavor combinations is cheese with sweet.  These sandwiches or quesadillas will be yummy with some soup on the side and a small salad or plate of fresh veggies.  If you want something heartier for dinner - do these as your appetizer.


SNACKS, BREAKFAST, MEAL PREP, ETC.
HONEYDEW WITH MINT - simply cut up your ripe honeydew melon and toss with some shredded mint leaves.  The result is a sweet and cool flavor you will love.
MASON JAR SALADS - so convenient to prepare salads ahead of time and grab to take for lunches or even to have some of your dinner meal prep done ahead of time.
FRESH FRUIT!
FRESH VEGGIES with DIP
FRESH SPRING ROLLS
HOMEMADE ORANGE JULIUS
CAPRESE SALAD
BRUSCHETTA

Bon appétit!
-Raven

No comments :

Post a Comment