Saturday, March 21, 2015

BOUNTIFUL BASKETS MEAL PLAN 3-21-15

Lettuce CHILE PEPPERS Strawberries  LEMONS Asparagus CELERY

PINEAPPLE   Red Peppers   Daikon-Radish   Apples  POTATOES

14 CHILE PEPPERS  I  2 HEADS GREEN LEAF LETTUCE  I  1 CELERY  I  2 ASPARAGUS  I  2 DAIKON RADISH  I  3 PINEAPPLE  I  6 RED PEPPERS
1 BAG POTATOES  I  6 LEMONS  I  2 APPLES  I  1 CLAMSHELL STRAWBERRIES

If you're wondering what that giant white root vegetable from your basket is, it's a Daikon radish.  We'll be using ours in salads and as a roasted vegetable, but here are ten ideas for using it.  

EAT FOR A WEEK WITH BOUNTIFUL BASKETS


We've put together a healthy meal plan.  This meal plan uses produce from a Utah basket from Bountiful Baskets and is based on MyPlate recommendations.  We'll also use a few simple ingredients from a well stocked kitchen and minimal additional items from the market.  You can click on each recipe name for the recipe.  Everything shown here was included in the basket contribution - $15 plus a small fee ($2.50).  Everything pictured came from my personal Bountiful Basket and all photos are of actual produce from the basket.


MEAL PREP
This week, with a lot of my basket ingredients, I'm going to prep food that fits my busy lifestyle.  I'll prepare things into single servings and then stock my fridge and be ready for the week!  This involves washing and drying the vegetables and then cutting them and putting into single serving containers, such as mason jars, plastic bags, and plastic containers.

The plan:
celery and red peppers cut to eat with hummus
mason jar salads from the lettuce, shredded daikon, some asparagus, some strawberries
smoothies from some strawberries and some pineapple (chop and freeze them in a single layer)
Gazpacho (a cold soup easily made in the blender or food processor):  red peppers, 1 chile pepper,
chopped pineapple to have with cottage cheese or yogurt
frozen lemon custard




COOKING
I'm going to do a lot of roasting because it's simple, easy and delicious.  Vegetables/Fruit for roasting:  Potatoes, Asparagus, Daikon, Pineapple, and Red Peppers, Green Chiles.  Follow these steps for roasting any vegetable.  You can roast just a couple times over the entire week since roasted veggies will keep in the refrigerator for a few days, and can be reheated.  I'll also cook my grains and proteins just a couple times this week and portion them out so there are less days I need to cook.

One night I'll get a bit more adventurous with homemade CHILE RELLENO BAKE.  I LOVE chile rellenos and baking them instead of frying not only makes them healthier, but it creates a casserole that you can enjoy for days.

NO PREP REQUIRED
Lemons - just slice and add to warm water in the morning for a healthy start to the day
Apples - slice and have with peanut butter, eat whole, or with cheese

As you can see, I kept things really simple this week.  What are your favorite tricks for spending less time in the kitchen to get healthy, delicious food?


No comments :

Post a Comment