Saturday, February 7, 2015

MY BOUNTIFUL BASKETS MEAL PLAN 1-7-15

Some highlights from this week's basket:
GREEN CAULIFLOWER  PURPLE POTATOES  ASPARAGUS  BUTTERNUT SQUASH

EAT FOR A WEEK (or more) WITH BOUNTIFUL BASKETS


We've put together a meal plan, with feeding a family of 4 in mind.  However, these ideas would be great no matter how many you're feeding.  This meal plan uses produce from a Utah basket from Bountiful Baskets and is based on MyPlate recommendations.  We'll also use a few simple ingredients from a well stocked kitchen and minimal additional items from the market.  You can click on each recipe name for the recipe.  Everything shown here was included in the basket contribution - $15 plus a small fee ($2.50).  Everything pictured came from my personal Bountiful Basket.





MONDAY
CAULIFLOWER CEVICHE

Basket Items:  1/2 head of cauliflower, 2-3 tomatoes, 1/2-1 cucumber
This is a recipe that my neighbor Pedro who is from Mexico makes.  I am constantly in a state of hunger when I am at home because of the almost constant stream of culinary aroma that descends into my apartment from his.  He and his wife are both incredible cooks.  I love their Chile Relleno and I trust them completely when it comes to food.  So I can't wait to try this.  I've never made Ceviche so I am thinking maybe serving it with rice and beans.  What would you serve it with?




TUESDAY
PURPLE POTATO, KALE, KIELBASA SKILLET

Basket Items:  several purple potatoes
I love the color of these purple potatoes so much I really want to use them with something else with a nice rich color - like Kale.  Kale and potatoes are a natural combination for me.  Skillet meals make dinner easier because you can do so much much all in one pot.  If you don't have or want to buy kielbasa, you could use any cased sausage.  If you have bell peppers, that would also be good in this.



WEDNESDAY
PASTA RE-DEEMED

Basket Items:  1/2 zucchini, 1/4 butternut squash
My dear friend Camille is quite saucy, but her pasta is not.  She shared this recipe with me and I was practically drooling by the time we got to the "pockets of melted mozzarella".  The olive oil and cheese is what binds this dish together, rather than using a sauce.  I can't wait to try it!








THURSDAY
ROASTED ASPARAGUS W/LEMON & PARMESAN
Basket Items:  Most or all of the asparagus
I'll use this basic recipe for roasting asparagus, and modify it by squeezing some fresh lemon juice over the asparagus before roasting.  I'll also sprinkle some parmesan cheese over it in the last couple minutes of roasting.  I'll serve with baked salmon with bread on the side.






FRIDAY
HOMEMADE PIZZA

Having a pizza night will help use up all the little bits of vegetables that are leftover like zucchini, roasted cauliflower, asparagus, and potatoes.  I'll use simple steps to CREATE A PIZZA.














SATURDAY
CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH & PEAR SOUP

Basket Items:  3/4 butternut Squash, 2 pears
I still have bread bowls from last week that I need to use and they will be perfect for this delicious comfort food.














SUNDAY
SIMPLE ROASTED GARLIC CAULIFLOWER & POTATOES
LEMON CUSTARD BARS for dessert

Basket Items:  1/2 cauliflower, several purple potatoes, 1-3 lemons
I love the look of the green cauliflower with the rich purple of the potatoes.  Admittedly, I want to use them together mostly for this reason.  I also have some cauliflower left from previous weeks of Bountiful Baskets.  Using some white cauliflower with the new green and the purple potatoes will be worthy of serving to company at Sunday Dinner.  If you don't believe me, look at these gorgeous photos I found.


REMAINING

5 ORANGES
5 APPLES
2-3 LEMONS
4 KIWI
1-2 CUCUMBER
1-3 ZUCCHINI

Ideas:
Grab fresh fruit when you're on the go for breakfast or snacks!
Fruit w/cottage cheese or yogurt
Smoothies
Turn leftover smoothie into popsicles
slice and have with your favorite dip!

OTHER MEAL PREP
Make my favorite recipe for ZUCCHINI BREAD for quick breakfasts and snacks
Slice the CUCUMBER and portion into ziplock for snacks with dips like hummus
Slice some LEMON for warm lemon water in the morning

QUICKMEALS
QUICK MICROWAVE ASPARAGUS QUICHE

As always, use what you have on hand!  Happy Eating!

2 comments :

  1. Wow.....helps make sure bbb is totally used...easily...really like recipes for each week's bbb. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's our pleasure, Carol! We're glad you came by!

    ReplyDelete